How do you measure Copywriter Effectiveness?
A good copywriter always tests his copy.Low conversion is the result of badly-written copy.
Other problems with copy can include:
- The low number of leads from a landing page;
- The high number of unqualified leads;
- Crazy bounce rates;
- Emails going to spam;
- Low email open rate;
- Few clicks on email links;
- Low engagement on a page, and a high exit rate;
- Few visitors getting to cart;
- High time on a page at checkout, yet paid conversions are low.
A combination of copy, design, and UX can fix these issues.
Data can be used to accurately assess what your copywriters are doing and their overall impact on your business.
This analysis will be in two phases:
- 1. Pre-publishing
Parameters measured here include:
- i. Readability Score: A measure of how easily copy is read and understood.
Writing about complex topics in a simple way keeps the audience engaged.This makes it easier to sell your message.There are tools and techniques to improve readability.
- ii. SEO Score: This measures how easy it is to find your business online.
Even after improving readability, search engines should find your articles easily.Good SEO contributes to site traffic.SEO score can be assessed using:
- a. Keyword density: The density of keywords changes according to the length of the content, the strength of the keyword, whether you’re linking internally or externally, and how well trusted your site is.
- b. LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords:These words are semantically related to your keyword, and amplify the keyword’s impact.
- c. Keyword placement: Ensure you have your keyword in the opening, closing, title, and Meta description.
- d. Length: Longer posts rank higher on search engines. Ensure that your posts have depth and are around 3,000 words.
- 2. Post-publishing
Once content goes live, you need to measure:
- i. Traffic: You need to see people troop to your site. The key sources of traffic are:
- a. Organic traffic: If your content is optimised, the search engines will rank your site favourably. Your copywriting service could use this as a key performance indicator for copywriters in search engine optimisation and positioning.
- b. Referral traffic: The more your content is cited, linked to, or shared, the more it grows in popularity. Clever collaboration and content promotion on other sites can make this work well.
- c. Direct traffic happens when people type or paste links into their browser, bookmarks, and internal sources. It accounts for traffic whose source can’t be determined.
Google Analytics can help you measure traffic in many ways. You can easily pinpoint:
- a. Traffic Sources with excellent visualisations.
- b. Keywords Searched so you know exactly what they searched to find you. This will reveal the power of your LSI keywords.
- c. Unique Visitors tell you how many actually visited and the total count of repeat visitors.
- d. Pageviews revealshow many other articles or pages a visitor clicked on after the article took them to your website.
- e. Time On Site indicates how engaging and compelling your content really is.
- ii. Social Shares: People love to share good and engaging content.
Anyone who sees the shared article is likely to click and read it. It is a great yardstick to measure content popularity. Social sharing via Facebook shares, LinkedIn shares, and Retweets, makes content travel faster and farther in less time than on the search engines alone.The common tracking tools are:
- a. SocialMetricsPro,a WordPress plugin; and
- b. Social share counter plugins
- iii. Comments: If your content gets comments, people are aware of your brand.
More than that, they are connecting with you. Comments are not always positive. Prepare for that. Comments are instant opinions on your content (not necessarily its quality). Ask for feedback via email or social media. You can use negative feedback to your advantage. Recommended tools for managing comments are Discus and KYA.Disqus tracks your following and offers growth strategies, while KYA’s analytical comments section summarises audience engagement on- and off-site with a post score.
- iv. Opt-In and Conversion Rates: This is the real test of content effectiveness.
A copywriting company looks out for these.Good content drives profitable action.This action can be:
- a. Sign-ups for email lists
- b. Downloading stuff
- c. Buying something from you
The seasoned copywriter always asks: “Is copy action-oriented?”He checks if content is written in the active voice.People must do something in response to copy.Otherwise, it is pointless. It should convert. Readers must go from passive to active participants.Measure the conversion of content by calculating the ratio of readers in the audience to eventual purchasers/subscribers.Use Google Analytics (for blog conversion) and a landing page (from which you can measure click-through rates) to assess conversion numbers.
We have provided a few tools you can use to analyse different metrics.
The reputable copywriting company you hire will create a process analysis of your own site, your objectives, and how best to use these tools to match those objectives.
These are things you cannot afford to gloss over.
Conversion numbers and other more qualitative factors like readability and social sharing weigh differently depending on what stage your business is.
Your copywriting company will have the full responsibility for your content, based on the tools you provide to ensure that content matches your expectations.
Give your copywriting company clear goals and outcomes to work with.
I write out a definition of the problem and a statement of the purpose which I wish the campaign to achieve. Then I go no further until the statement and its principles have been accepted by the client. -David Ogilvy
Several objectives can be met in one piece of content.Have a Plan, then Build!
A great copywriting company does not simply write.It anticipates and responds to changes. Fulfilling the brief is one small part of the process.For your business to grow, you need to build a relationship with your copywriters.The tools you have at your disposal will help you amass data as you create more content.Let these tools also inform and shape your approach.Always share your data with your copywriters.Make recommendations you feel can improve their performance.Your copywriting partner is committed to your success.Engage a copywriting company today, and watch your business flourish beyond your wildest dreams.